8.12.10

christmas spirit


I made some plans this week to take a group over to the Care Center in Ephraim this week and what a wonderful time we had! Because it is so close to finals week most people were unable to go but that is O.K because there are plenty of opportunities in the future. 

For this trip the plan was to read several christmas stories while going from room to room visiting before dinner. As most people know plans never really happen the way you want them too and thank goodness for that! Out of the 20 person group that I invited to go, only 2 of us were able to go. Robert and I. So we took off around 4 with our stories in hand. We got there pretty quickly and set ourselves up ready to go room to room. But one of the nurses had a fantastic idea to set us up in a room with couches and a microphone. So we ended up doing that. With a lovely audience we began our introductions and read two inspiring stories "The Three Trees" and "The Christmas Blessing." 

You may not know it but old ladies like a good song much better than a story. After we finished reading the stories they asked us to sing a couple christmas songs. We didnt have any accompaniment but who is going to say no to those sweet old ladies? Robert cried out on the first song and I was left all by my lonesome...So like any other choir girl I turned bright red, inched up to the microphone and warbled out Silent Night. Now I'm no songstress, I am not saying I could win any awards for that performance...oh far from it. I am saying that I had sooooo much fun doing it! It was super scary but the looks on those faces made my whole day! They were the most amazing audience. I would go back any day and sing for them, it doesn't matter that singing in front of a crowd scares the dickens out of me. The pride that shines on their faces as if I was one of their grandkids was enough to make me feel warmth straight to my spirit. The journey didn't end there though, the ladies were not done with only one song, they wanted to hear "that young man over there" sing a song. So Robert was unable to hide anymore and was forced to the front. We sang a duet of Hark the Herald Angels Sing. I think that it was beautiful...from what I could hear around the pounding nervousness I was facing at least. 

It was a beautiful experience. 

After singing for a while we went around and talked to some of the people living there. I met countless ladies that told me about how proud they are of their grandchildren and families. About how amazing their lives were. I met one woman that was so incredibly spiritual, she told me endless stories of her dear husband that was stake president for years and years and about how she was able to house the Quorum of the 12. What an inspiring life she led! 

I heard stories that made me so excited to live my own life. I heard stories that made me laugh and some that made me puzzled but the common factor was that I heard stories that warmed my heart. These people have such wonderful life experiences they are a treasure and a group that should be heard and learned from everyday. I cannot wait to go visit them again.

One woman holds a special place in my heart, she was so sweet. I could tell the entire time that I was there that she wanted to talk to me. Her name was Aleen and she told me stories about her childhood and her husband that died young of pneumonia. She told me a story of how everyone called her Dina for most of her life. I only spoke with her for a short time but I felt a connection and I know that she was looking for someone to talk to. I am so happy that I could spend my time with her, listening to her stories. 

If you ever get the chance to visit with any older people whether they are your grandparents or not, treasure that time because they are full of life and you can learn so much from them. Take the time to stop and listen. The things that they can teach you are jewels and pearls that will enrich your life every day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment