30.12.10

.family.

    As I write this I am sitting in a basement freezing from the cold with a miniature heater warming my toesies. Its pretty late and I should be upstairs sleeping but I cannot get this sense of overwhelming happiness to shove off long enough to go to sleep. I am just so completely content with my life and the people in it that I can't believe it. Of course being a 20 year old my life is rife with angst and all kinds of drama but really without that I don't think my life would be as wonderful as it is right now.
    I just spent 10 fantastic days in Oregon seeing my family up there, not only the ones I am related to but the ones I grew up with also. Just the dynamics and the way I am treated is so very special to my life there. For instance I know my dad loves me because of his parting words when i said goodbye, "Well theres alot of snow, you will probably crash and die."......all I have to reply with is "thanks dad I love you too."....Those kinds of words from anybody else would be sarcastic and probably rude, I don't think I would take them that well at all, but knowing my dad thats all he needs to say and I get the gist. He worries about me and even though he has this rough and tough exterior he can show he cares.
    I got to spend time with my friends, Megan, Melissa and Jackie, which was lovely. They all bring something different to the table that I love so much. It's like they are each a different facet and when merged they put my life together. I don't know what I would do without them. They understand different parts of me without my having to explain. I have created some of the best memories of my life with them.
    I'm not going to lie though, I was super stoked to fly home. My utah family is amazing. I love my aunt to death. We have such a deep understanding of eachother that I dont think I could reach in the same way with anyone else. When we talk we dont even finish stories, we will drop them a couple lines in and start in on a new one flawlessly, talking over eachother constantly. Then an hour or so later we will pick up and finish each story, no questions asked. She knows what I'm thinking basically all of the time, she is the rock, the person I go to when I am lost and she is always there for me. She is very much a mother to me.
   Some of the tenderest moments have happened to me during my life in Utah. I treasure the times when I stay here. When Marynell has a nightmare and I wake up and rock her to sleep so her parents can at least have a full nights sleep once in a while. When I walk into the house and I'm bombarded with the girls, big hugs, pulling me up to their rooms so they can show me all of their dolls and toys, Rhiannan giving a full narrative the whole time, even though I have seen them all a thousand times. Shoving their dolls at me so that I can hold them while they get their diapers changed by eager little hands pretending to be mommies, or forcing me to sit in their rooms to watch them play, not allowed to leave but not allowed to play along either. The special moments that i hold so close to my heart. My favorite by far is the early early hours of the morning when Marynell comes down and nestles with me on the couch, cuddling up for a half hour or so. I can't believe they are growing up and I wont have these little girls anymore.
   I can't believe I'm saying this but I can't wait to get back to school either. I have another family that lives down there, all of the friends that I have made since I moved have become my home away from home. When I leave I don't miss my apartment or the school, I miss them. The nights that we spend watching t.v. shows or just hanging out are some of the best nights of my life. I look forward to hanging out so much. I am not sure what i would have done with my life without them. They have brought me so much that I didn't even know I was missing. But now I wouldn't give it up for the world.
    My grandparents are such a wonderful part of my life too. I have found so much acceptence from them. They have become my confidants and my friends. I know that I can share any unfolding drama with my grandmother or discuss any of my many crushes and she will help me to the best of her ability. She is always preparing me for my life. One of my favorite memores with her was when she taught me how to make my Man-catchin Pickled beets! Because she told me that I will never be able to catch a man without knowing that recipe. Well boys, I learned it, come, flock to me! My grandpa is my strength, he is always striving and pushing, he never gives up. He may be sick and tired but he just keeps going past the point of stubburness. He is so incredibly smart too! If I am ever worried about something I know I can go to him and he will straighten me out.

I have so many more people that I am so proud to know and I love them dearly with my whole heart and i know that I cant get to everyone in a single blog post. But I want everyone to know how much I treasure them and their friendship. I have a wonderfully large family and I want it to keep on growing.

I am so thankful to have been blessed with this life and the people in it.

1 comment:

  1. you are an amazing young lady. It is a blessing to know you.

    ReplyDelete