18.11.10

making waves in rainbows

When you first come into this world it is full of bright lights and loud voices, screaming for attention. Soon after this shocking welcoming committee you will find yourself enveloped in warm arms, snuggled close for comfort. Before too long though you will begin to grow, learning things and becoming your own person. Discovering a world rich in texture and color. A sort of Tie Dye rainbow. This new world will have so many different facets that even beginning to understand it will seem impossible. So you must reach into this myriad rainbow and find your color. When you do, hold tight. This color will become who you are, defining each and every choice that you make. Your color may be ever changing or it may stay the same, but at each stage of your life you are a part of the rainbow.  

The color I chose several years ago was one of Aqua Sea Foam. And my fingers have not loosened from their hold since they managed to grasp it. My color does not truly define who I am exactly but it is a pretty good generalization. I come from the ocean-hence the sea foam section. I believe that our history plays a huge part of who we become. I grew up watching the ocean daily and it has changed my life in enumerable ways.

 I have always been drawn to this idea of finding something to represent my life in one way or the other and I think that I have found that with colors. For a while I dabbled in other things such as hobbies or books or clothing. Trying to define myself with music or a genre or the way I dress. But those things are so...definite. Once you latch on to one, then that is the way that the world sees you . Stereotypes are created, these are the kinds of things that are so difficult to rid ourselves of. But with colors there are no stereotypes. If you told me that you were yellow or red or even puce I wouldn't question your choice but I would ask you to explain it. There are so many ways that you can explain a color that it is impossible to fully analyze who a person is without their help. Whereas with my previous practices using hobbies and such hasty generalizations are the norm. 

I am Aqua Sea Foam which has many meanings. Ocean. Fun. Sweet. Pure. Loving. Reckless. Wild. Ponderous. Young. 

There is so much to take from a color. What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment