22.11.10

a time for others

Today I made a realization about myself. I am entirely too self centered. Too much of my time is spent worrying about myself and how things are going for me. Its time to turn that around and spend a little less time on me and more time on others.

"Joseph F. Smith said: 'Charity, or love, is the greatest principle in existence. If we can lend a helping hand to the oppressed, if we can aid those who are despondent and in sorrow, if we can uplift and ameliorate the condition of mankind, it is our mission to do it, it is an essential part of our religion to do it' (in Conference Report, Apr. 1917, 4). When we feel love for God's children, we are given opportunities to help them in their journey back to His presence."

Today at scripture study we read Moroni 7:31 through the end of the chapter, to wrap up essentially what it was about for me can be done in one word; Charity. This is one word that we throw around so casually but do we truly each go out there and do random acts of kindness? Do we help others in any way that we can? Or are we charitable in the way that we think and speak? Charity is more than just going out there and helping others its also something we can do without others knowing. Being charitable in the mind means that we don't think unkind things about others. Keeping ourselves open to everyone without judgement. This is something that I will admit that I struggle with but I am sincerely working on it.

Moroni 7:45
And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

This scripture shows all of the parts of charity that we need to focus on and understand. Without charity we will be lost. So many people are out there in need of our help and we sit here wallowing in our own self pity.It has to stop. And it will if we just take the time to put into practice charity.

Every single day I am challenging myself to do something for someone else that will make their day better. Whether it is my opening the door for them or helping them with their homework, I have the time and the ability to help.

During scripture study I kept getting this feeling that I was not doing enough, that I needed to do more. So I did. I did exactly what I was feeling to do. I got together with one of my friends and we prepared some random acts of kindness. I still don't feel as if I have done enough, but I am striving to do more every day. Remember with each thing you do for another you are getting closer to our Heavenly Father. He truly loves us and wants us to care for one another. We are an eternal family and should act like it, not in sibling rivalry but by staying tight nit, caring for each other.

I believe that we, each and every one of us has a deep and truly powerful love for one another and that once we can leave behind our earthly trials and tribulations we can become more like our Heavenly Father. I believe that if we follow the teachings then we will be blessed with truly wonderful lives because we are all beautiful in our souls with a strong faith in The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost. I have a testimony of us and our ability to fulfill the commandments, to once again join our Father in Heaven. I have a testimony in the Father and his faith in us and the things that he believes that we can do. If he believes that I can be charitable in all ways, then I can, and I will be.

Moroni 7:47, 48

 But Charity is the pure Love of Christ, and it endureth Forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, Pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment